top of page
CBJ Environmental | Bellingham, Massachusetts

Asbestos & Lead-Based Paint


What is Asbestos and Why is it Harmful?

Asbestos is a fibrous material that can be easily inhaled.  When inhaled, the tiny fibers can become trapped in the lungs and cause inflammation, scarring, and cancer.  Asbestos exposure can increase the risk of developing cancers of the lung, ovary, larynx, and mesothelioma.  Asbestos exposure can also cause a progressive lung disease called asbestosis. 

Why is Lead-Based Paint and Why is it Harmful?

Lead paint is a type of paint that contains lead. Lead was commonly added to paint prior to 1978 to make it dry faster, more durable, and more moisture resistant. Lead is a toxic metal that can cause serious health problems if it's ingested or inhaled.

Lead paint is dangerous when it comes off the walls, which can happen in three main ways: Peeling, Flaking, and Cracking.

Lead paint can be poisonous for young children if it creates dust or paint chips. Lead exposure can cause behavior and learning problems in young children.

Lead dust can form when lead-based paint is scraped, sanded, or heated during home repair activities. Lead paint chips and dust can get on surfaces and objects that people touch. Settled lead dust can re-enter the air when the home is vacuumed or swept, or people walk through it. 

Asbestos & Lead Services Include:
  • Compliance Inspection/Audit Services

  • Inspections, Building/Pre-Demolition/Pre-Construction Surveys & Assessments

  • Abatement Designs & Site-Specific Variance Applications

  • Project & Air Monitoring

  • XRF Sampling

  • Risk Assessments

  • Project Management

  • Negative Exposure Assessments

  • Respiratory Protections Plans

  • OSHA Compliance Evaluations

  • Permit Applications

bottom of page